Monday, October 23, 2006

Low Water Creeking in VA


A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from Allen Speering saying that Nelson County, VA had recieved over four inches of rain, and we best get down there. At 10 pm, I grabbed my magnum and jumped in the car to make my way to Staunton.

Nelson County sure is purdy...

We woke up the next morning and checked the gauges only to see that everything had already begun to drop out and was plummeting quickly. Our first stop was the South Fork of the Rockfish. This was a very steep, micro creek, and it reminded me more of a ditch than a proper creek. But since we were already there, we decided to give'er. That was a bad idea. We did more deflecting off the rocks with our elbow pads than paddling, and in one hour I think I put six months worth of wear onto my boat. There was, however, one good slide that was video worthy.

After that disaster we went to Statons creek, which was also too low. Our desperation continued to cloud our judgement, and we put on Statons. The flow was probably around 2o cfs (no lie). We hit a lot of rocks, I chested a tree, and Saunders fell down a lot. It was a good time.

Even though everything was super, super low, we had a good day. There is some really fun creeking in Nelson County, and if anyone gets the chance I recommend you take the trip. Maybe you'll have better luck than we did.

Here's a video from the day.

-
Dave Finney


And a few more pictures from Statons...

Saunders styling in the Inferno


Allen Speering on the lip


Dave dropping in


A slide on Statons

No comments: